5 Tips To Stretch Your Tax Refund - Sammy Makes Six

5 Tips To Stretch Your Tax Refund

This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser, Walmart Family Mobile. All opinions are mine alone. #YourTaxCash #CollectiveBias

It's tax season and for many people it's tax refund time. If you're one of those lucky people who is getting a refund from your taxes this year, versus paying, then you're pretty lucky. I've gotten to do both and the refund is my favorite of the two, for sure. But what do you do with your tax refund once you get it: do you forget all responsibilities and blow it on a girls weekend to Las Vegas, do you pay your car off or do you put it in the bank to grow interest?

My mom and older sister would say to not spend a penny and put it all in the bank. But that's not how I think. I already save a portion of my monthly income and my tax refund is for other things. With it I can pay some bills, get a new computer or phones for the family, and have some fun with it. 



Pay off high interest rate credit cards: I have four credit cards that I pay down every month, along with one card that carries a balance, which will go into a high interest rate next month. That means that by April 13th I have to zero it out or pay that high interest on the balance. I'm expecting my refund in a week and it will be the first thing I pay with it. Once it's paid off I can relax, look at what's left of my refund and decide what to do with the balance.

You can do the same by taking a look at all of your credit cards. Maybe you can't zero them out or pay them all, but look at the ones with the higher interest rates and pay off a portion of each. Paying off bills with your tax refund isn't the most fun way to spend it, but imagine how much you will save just from those high interest fees.



Switch to an affordable cell phone plan: If you've been on one of the larger cell phone carrier plans, you know how expensive it can be every single month, especially if you have a large family like mine.


Walmart Family Mobile has been the plan for my family for over three years now. It's the plan that my older girls started on and now the plan we have for all of the kids. The Walmart Family Mobile PLUS Plan is perfect for me and my family. 

Walmart Family Mobile Plus PlanUnlimited* Talk, Text, & Data which includes up to 10GB of 4G LTE then 2G plus a free VUDU movie credit every month ($7 value) per line for $49.88. (*Includes up to 10GB of 4G LTE† data then 2G).

Starting Walmart Family Mobile is easy, head to Walmart, just pick a phone or Bring Your Own, and get your SIM Kit for only $19.88.


Add kids to your family cell plan: In my family the two older kids have had cell phones for a few years and it's time do add another. Being able to stay in contact with the kids now that they all go to different schools and have after school activities separately, is an absolute necessity. I am thankful we have an affordable data plan carrier so paying the bills is not a nightmare. 

The new phone we picked out is the Samsung Galaxy On5. This phone is regularly priced at  $119.00 and is a great starter phone,

Have a family movie night versus going to the theater: With the WFM Unlimited Plus plan you get a free monthly movie credit ($7 value which is the same as a new release rental) on VUDU, which we watch on our smart tv at home. This free movie frees up a rather expensive movie night out with the kids so we can do something more fun with the extra cash.


Plan a family trip: Paying off bills and taking care of responsibilities is not the only thing you can do with your tax refund. You and the family should get to do something fun with your money, even if it's not something huge. This year I am getting a smaller refund so there is no 4-day vacation for us, but we can still take a few road trips and enjoy some family time shopping and just being out in amazing Southern California.


Getting a tax refund is a nice windfall of money that can really go a long way if you plan how to spend it carefully. Adulting isn't always fun and believe me, I would rather go on a nice vacation with the kids, but if you're careful you can be responsible AND still enjoy some of that money. Why not, you earned it!


What are some tips you can share with us for stretching our tax refunds even further? 


Disclaimer: All prices for phones and plans included in this post are accurate as of the date of posting; however, these prices are subject to change. Please refer to http://cbi.as/7e-jr or your local Walmart for current pricing.