Tips to Keeping Your Home in Tip-top Shape for Your Family (and Your Cat) - Sammy Makes Six

Tips to Keeping Your Home in Tip-top Shape for Your Family (and Your Cat)

This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #FreeandCleanLiving #CollectiveBias

When I was growing up my siblings and I were not allowed to have pets. My mom believed that it wasn't possible to have pets in a home, and still maintain a clean house. If you're a pet parent then you know it's completely possible-- just because you have pets doesn't mean your home has to smell bad or be dirty. Right now there are over 6 cats in my place and one dog and besides finding cat hair collected throughout several corners (they seems to gather there every 5 minutes), you might not know that there is an entire cat family living there. 


I have a routine that I do each morning where I do a quick clean up of the living area, where the cats like to hang out, and the liter boxes. After that I get the whole crew fed and we are ready to face the day in a home that's clean and pleasant. I love cats and as someone who sorely missed having a pet as a kid, I am thrilled to be able to care for so many now. The extra 30 minutes a day of my life that I spend cleaning up is nothing compared to the happiness that these guys bring.


5 Tips to Keeping Your Home in Tip-top Shape for Your Family (and Your Cat)


FINDING THE RIGHT LITTER:

New TIDY CATS® Free & Clean™ Unscented Clumping Litter is the litter I currently use for my family of cats. Once we got more than one cat, it was important to really step up the odor control. I shop at Target at least once a week for the entire family and I love that I can pick up whatever the pets need there too, and the best part is that at Target I don't have to spend a lot!

Tidy Cats® Lightweight Free & Clean has unscented odor control with the Powder of Activated Charcoal. I like the unscented version of this litter because with multiple cats things can already be pretty scented, instead of adding more smells to the situation, I prefer to eliminate them completely. 

Tidy Cats® knows powerful odor control is at the top of your list of litter must-haves…but sometimes added fragrances and dyes just aren’t what you want. Free & Clean offers you the odor-absorbing power of activated charcoal plus TidyLock® Protection to lock away odors.

Tidy Cats® Lightweight Free & Clean is 99.9% dust free and clumps strongly, making cleaning the litter boxes fast and easy. Plus the TidyLock Protection locks away odors so the garage never smells foul. We do our laundry in the garage and are in and out of there all day so freshness is a must. 



MAKE SURE YOU HAVE PLENTY OF LITTER BOXES

One litter box per cat is strongly suggested and that's what we always did when we had three cats. But now with so many more cats and limited space, we have four boxes total in the garage, and instead of cleaning them once a day, we do it twice.  



A clean litter box doesn't just mean a fresher smelling home, cats love a clean box and they are so much happier when their boxes are nice and clean.



TRAIN YOUR CATS 

Something we've not quite mastered with the youngest cats is to train them not to get on certain areas like the kitchen counters, dish drainer (they love the drainer) or even the kitchen table. These are areas that have to be completely germ and cat free as they are the areas where we prepare and enjoy meals. A lot of people also train their pets not to get on beds and furniture.

For us it's mainly the kitchen, the cats have pretty much free reign as long as they stay out of our food prep area. It's our small kitchen table that we can't keep them off of. They seems to realize that this is where the family gathers, and they too want to be a part of it.


LITTLE BIT OF ELBOW GREASE

We live in a townhouse, it's not very large except for the living area where the cats tend to spend the most time. Every morning after getting the kids of to school I take 20-30 minutes to dust, vacuum the floor and the furniture. I wipe down all the kitchen and table surfaces, plus clean out the liter boxes. I have my routine pretty set so I never have to take longer than the allotted time. 

Honestly, besides the litter boxes this is the same routine I did every morning before getting the cats. I like to start my days with a fresh house and that tidying routine has always been part of my morning, ever since my kids were little. 




A fresh home is a happy home and having one cat or multiple cats, like we do, doesn't have to mean your home has to be smelly. Take a trip to Target and purchase Tidy Cats® Lightweight Free & Clean for your litter boxes and you'll immediately see a difference in the freshness near their boxes, with no extra added scents. Target is always a great place to stock up on your pet's needs, plus do a little bit of shopping for yourself too!

Looking for more #FreeandCleanLiving inspiration? Check out the social hub to see how others have put Tidy Cats® Lightweight Free & Clean to work for them.